| "RESCUE" mantle clock circa 1867 .
Sometimes things just catch your eye and instantly there is a connection that's how it was when I saw this beautiful spelter French Statue Clock of a Sailor holding a life ring.
The clock is named "Rescue". It was the last clock in a series of 3 statue clocks. The first was named "Cod Fishing" , The second was "Distress" and finally "Rescue" .
It is made of spelter . Spelter is a zinc –lead alloy that ages to resemble bronze, but is softer and has a lower melting point. The name can also refer to a copper–zinc alloy (a brass) used for brazing , or to pure zinc.,
The clock stands on a wood base with the name plate. The clock is 26" tall and about 10" across at the base. Its an 8 days and has a very rich sounding strike.
It strikes on the hour and half hour. There is some paint loss but nothing that takes away from the looks.
On the back plate of the clock works is stamped the number 1194 , the initials R&C Paris & London , and hidden by the pendulum is the Japy Freres & Cie Madaille D'honneur 1867 stamped on it..
Japy Freres was founded in 1806 by Frederic Japy with his sons Pierre (finances/ commerce, Fritz and Louis (technicality, machine design). Frederic Japy started productio lines in one building at Besancourt, all manufacturing together, ca. 1770-1780, pocket watches and clocks were made there. The production grew rapidly. In 1806 his sons Louis, Pierre and Fritz by then took over the bussiness. The trademark JAPY FRERES was founded by then.. During the next years, up to 1930 the factory became very big, and supplied even several armies with contracts to deliver a variation of watches and clocks. They also produced emaille dials. Japy Freres standariszed the manufacturing of watches and clocks up to Industrial scale world wide. The factory closed by the end of the 1930's.
Our clock was made by Japy then passed through the hands of R&C as the original point of sale
Charles Adolphe Richard was born in Paris in 1835, and died in Wandsworth London on December 14 1889. He and his wife, Caroline, had one daughter, Jeanne Caroline Richard born around 1880, and a son Ernest Adolphe Richard born in 1877. Ernest in turn had children Peter and John, and all three went into the family business.
The company Richard and Co was advertised as being founded in 1855, although the company at this time seems to have been called Lemaitre-Bergmann. Richard formed a partnership with Bergmann, but this was dissolved on 29th December 1867 when Richard took over the business completely, forming the company Richard & Co.
At some point, Ernest Richard took over from his father, and in 1898 Richard & Co was converted into a limited liability company under the name of Richard & Co Ltd, one of the directors being E.A. Richard. The business subsequently moved from 24 Cannon Street to 122 Aldersgate Street.
Size : 26 inches high x 10 inches across the bass .
Price : £950 .