Tameside Wall clock .. snowdoniaantiques.co.uk.jpeg9/23/2021 10:51:53 AM
| Early 20th Century Oak Wall Clock . Circa 1920 .
Sometimes it can be quite difficult to age certain pieces but Tameside clocks can be dated to a seven year window from 1919-1926 .
Clocks with the Tame Side trademark were made by Hirst Brothers & Company. This company was first founded by Alfred Hirst and his brothers in 1884 as a jewellery and watchmakers shop.
Alfred's son Fred Hirst, became director of the company in 1909, and up until the first world war they were mainly wholesalers.
After manufacturing various horological and other components during the war, they had developed their manufacturing capabilities, and this, combined with a hefty import tax on German goods (such as the clocks they had earlier imported) led them to build a factory near Oldham in 1919 on the banks of the river Tame to manufacture their own clocks.
The factory was called Tame Side and this became the trademark for their clocks.
The company went into liquidation in 1926, having made losses for the preceding 6 years. After restructuring the company continued to exist making electricity meters, but no longer produced clocks.
This particular wall clock is a lovely example of the companies work ,using a fusee movement that runs for 8 days it holds perfect time and is in-cased within an warm Oak case that wouldn't seem out of place in not only a period home but also a more modern setting .
Price : £525 .